Our Place in the New Universe.

Rants on the internet, blogs, ePortfolios, and education.

Name:
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Welcome to the Island.


image borrowed from http://www.aboututila.com



In her GroupBlog article, Cassie posed an interesting question (Digital Native vs. Digital Immigrant). It got me thinking about a different classification system, and what I've settled on in the spirit of "Digital Natives and Immigrants" is a system of "Internet Tourists vs. Internet Locals". On many points I find these new labels more accurate of the fluidity and familiarity possible in the digital universe.

I sort of think of the internet (in terms of its personal relation) as an exotic island. At first, I didn't even know of its existence. Then, it's introduced to me and I see its benefits and short-comings, but visit more and more frequently because it's an entertaining place. The more I visit, the more I pick up the local language, the geography and how to navigate my way around, where to go to accomplish what I want to accomplish, etc. I also learn through experience and wisdom from the locals how to be secure. How to not be the victim of theft and other crime, which sources of information are credible and which aren't. As I gain more familiarity with this area, become accustomed to the culture and its protocols, I find myself visiting more often. Maybe I study abroad there, maybe I get a job there. I have some friends there and shops I frequent, perhaps I show some other friends this island. Eventually I might move there, build or buy a house, and laugh at the naiivety of the next wave of tourists.

As you can see, I started out as a wary and ignorant tourist. But as time passed and I picked up more and more of the skills necessary for a substantial existence on this island, and thus become somewhat of a local. Likewise, a visitor the internet is not going to have many of the skills and wisdom to utilize the web and avoid its evils. Over time and through experience, that visitor becomes internet-savvy, and can then speak the language and even put up websites of his own. I like these classifications because they are very fluid. A person can be either the tourist or the local at his/her own discretion and learning. You don't necessarily have to be a wiz to enjoy the benefits of the net, but by fequenting it, you would naturally become more adept.

My skill level is not very high, but it is higher than some and I'm picking things up quickly. I've got email that I use regularly, I can now (thanks to this class) take advantage of publishing tools like blogs. I've also shopped online, as well as posted in forums, taken classes, chatted, and pretty much explored every resource available to me. I haven't, however, learned how to manipulate or create any of these things, like other students have, because I'm too overwhelmed by coding to mess with it. But hey, at least I know what it is, and maybe in the future I'll be able to spiff out my blog and ePortfolio too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

Great metaphor!

I also like the metaphor you used when you commented on my blog --

" I feel like a caveman who 's excited at discovering fire, then realizes the neighboring cave is throwing on a pyrotechnic metal concert."

I can never come up with these kind of closely related metaphors so that they actually make sense to others.

1/17/2006 10:32 PM  
Blogger Scott Lankford said...

I love the island metaphor too, Andrew. I would add that if it's a Bit Island -- like Hawaii -- you can be a "local" in one area of the internet and a "tourist" in another. That's certainly part of the challenge of the net these days. Does anyone ever know their way around the Whole Thing anymore? Is that even possible?

1/18/2006 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home