Our Place in the New Universe.

Rants on the internet, blogs, ePortfolios, and education.

Name:
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

Monday, January 09, 2006

Mini-Me

I'm calling this "Mini Me" because it's really just a short bio on me, what path brought me to this place, and maybe you'll get a small idea of what kind of person I am. I'm not sure how detailed I care to take this, and even less sure of how detailed you'd care for this to be... Well let's see where it takes us. Oh and I'll get a pic of me up here as soon as I comandeer someone's digital camera and figure out how to do all that. (learning something new everyday)


As members of the class already know, I'm Andrew, but most people call me to hang out. HA! Sorry that wasn't funny, no seriously most people call me Andy. ...I should probably delete that now. You know, I just spent about an hour writing a HUGE biography (thus defeating the title of Mini-Me) but thinking about my life up to now makes me kinda tired. I'm going to put it in my empty blog, entitled "The Story". If you're really curious, you can read it, but I just ask that you don't judge me on it. I've had a much different life than most people might think coming across me now, and I've decided it's not very appropriate for a class-affiliated blog. But let me take this as an opportunity to talk about how great this blog thing is. I've never written so honestly before, every time I had a biographical assignment in class I made it up. Entirely fabricated. In fact, most things I write about that have to do with me are completely made up. English papers, pysch papers, etc. But I think I'm going to go write a real biography in that other blog. Check it out if you want, I just don't want it to be part of the class.

Before I wrote that bio I was going to rant about something I saw... what was it? Um, let me go find out. My memory is failing at 18, how nice. OH the first day of school!

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

You know what I noticed? Everytime you get a new teacher, you pretty much have to wipe your slate clean and start from scratch. For instance, even something as "objective" as math, you have to learn your new teacher's testing style, his teaching style, how to take notes for that class, etc. etc. And I got to thinking, if I'm learning the same subject, why am i spending so much effort learning how to learn from this new teacher??? It's much worse in an English class. I've never gotten anything less than an A in any English class, and I've never gotten anything less than an A on any essay I've ever turned in EXCEPT the first essay in every class. Why? Because you have to appeal to your reader/grader, the teacher. The teacher holds all the chips, and I find myself not really learning English, but learning the new teacher's English. It's an interesting challenge, I'm not saying it's good or bad. Just food for thought.

I took yoga today. First time ever doing anything remotely like it. This is my experimental quarter. I'm trying out this ePortfolio stuff, Yoga, Poetry, and Human Genetics. I'm also taking Econ, but that's nothing new. I've never taken risks like this with learning so that's exciting because I usually just take standard classes such as Math, English, history. But college is about branching out. I love being able to choose really specific courses. I love how instead of "History" we now get to take "History 7R: The Role of Wooden Chairs in Colonial America". (That's made up, for all of you looking to take that class next quarter). The requirments do get in the way though, for instance I want to take a Physics class. I'm not a science buff by any means (probably my worst subject) but how am I going to graduate college and never have taken a physics course??? But it's not required because I took chemistry, and i have to worry about what I'm required to take not what I should be taking. Plus physics would probably be a big hit to my GPA etc. etc. Kinda lame. I'll probably take it anyway if I have the time. It's weird not taking a math. I absolutely hate math, and for the first time I dont' HAVE to take it. So obviously, I didn't. It's a weird feeling. Like I think I said before, freedom can be scary.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

Andrew, I tried to get to your other blog and it wouldn't allow me for some reason. Maybe it's something on my end but just wanted to tell you. I'll try again later.

And that's entirely true about teachers! It's especially hard having to figure out teachers, doing homework, quizzes, and tests in class and all in the first week of class. I'd like it if there was some way to have a week to adjust to the teacher and learn how the teacher teaches and then get into all the subject learning.

1/09/2006 4:01 PM  
Blogger Stobux said...

Hey Cassie,

Thanks for your comment! It actually wasn't published yet, I spent so much more time on it then I thought I would. I think i'm going to delete the whole blog and put it up on a new blog in chapters.

Yeah, I think the problem is we're on a quarter system. Kinda rushes you through things a bit, but at least courses don't bog down, right?

1/09/2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Hi Andrew,

Ah okay, I've created like five different blogs in one day so you're not the only one deleting some and then creating more blogs!

I think that even though the quarters go by so fast, I'd rather have that then get sick of the classes I'm taking. And with a semester system or something you'd have to take more classes at one time which isn't very fun!

1/09/2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger Scott Lankford said...

I really love the idea of "taking risks with learning" Andrew. And it's great to hear that you're already experimenting with multiple blogs -- which is exactly what I've ended up doing myself. Blog on, 'bro!

1/10/2006 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home