Our Place in the New Universe.

Rants on the internet, blogs, ePortfolios, and education.

Name:
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

eXploring ePorfolios (That's clever. I'm clever.)

Photo courtesy of IGaCoS.

Now that I'm getting better at this, click the site name to get to its original source. I'll be crediting every photo like this from here on out rather than long strands of URL. I wish there was a way to link the actual photo.

Come to think of it, this is another great innovation. Maybe rather that wading through the murky waters of MLA or whatever format, online essays can just have a small notation at the end of each quote that simply links the reader to the original article/book/etc. If it's a physical book, maybe a page number and a link to the publishing information.



For our second bi-weekly assignment (I guess it being the second means its technically the first bi-weekly assignment, seeing how the first "bi-weekly" assignment couldn't really have been "bi-weekly".) we took the first steps in really exploring ePortfolios, thus probably clearing up much confusion about what an ePortfolio even was. Meanwhile, I'm getting better with blogs, learning the intricacies of profiling and italicizing the afore mentioned "was". So what have we really done? For me, I've just starting dawning the wet-suit and duck feet, and I'm figuring out how to put on my snorkel gear. I'm eager to start spelunking into the under water cave that is an ePortfolio, but hesitant to do so without a native guide. ePortfolios seem to offer a lot to someone like me: a young adult who needs a portfolio to fufill social, scholastic, and professional needs. Since an ePortfolio doesn't exist in the physical world and therefore is bereft of the inherent baggage that comes with it, ePortfolios offer a hollistic approach to the classic resume.

Let's look at an example that I found to be the easiest on those possessing simpler brains like me. HERE is an ePortfolio of a woman named Sarah Cook, who is looking to become a middle school or high school math teacher. I like this example because it's extremely basic and simple, yet she employs a lot of features (frames, pictures, video/audio) and puts a lot of creative stuff in her ePortfolio in an easy format.

PURPOSE: Personally, I wanted to look more at an all-encompassing ePortfolio (as I said above) for all aspects of life. Ms. Cook's ePorfolio is strictly professional. It's more of a very creative and versatile online resume. Since I don't know enough about ePortfolios (and I'm hoping some of you share in my ignorance) it's nice to look at a more one-dimensional type of thing for now. So anyway, we're looking at Ms. Cook's use of ePortfolios as a resume to get hired as a math teacher.

TRADITIONAL RESUME: If you look at a "traditional" resume, what do you have on it? Well what comes to mind immediately is probably contact info, education, experience in the field, past jobs, internships, skills, extra activities, and accolades. Did I miss anything? That's a pretty hefty list there, and it gives a good base to see one's credentials. Then if that all checks out, maybe the prospective employer will grant an interview. Now ask yourself this, is a sheet of paper and one interview enough to summarize you as a person? If it is, get away from me now, because you bore me. At any rate, Ms. Cook has put up her own traditional resume in her ePortfolio. Since we agree that the entire porfolio is pretty much a resume (in the sense that it's trying to get her hired), we can see how much a traditional resume is missing by itself.

FEATURES: In addition to her resume, Ms. Cook has implemented a lot of nifty stuff that gives us a better idea of what kind of math teacher she would be, and what kind of person she is. Certain elements are arguably frivolous, such as her extensive metaphors for teaching. Where on a traditional resume (your statistics, basically) would you be able to include a page long metaphor? Nonetheless, it gives us a great idea of Ms. Cook's view on teaching and education. Is this valuable to know when you're considering her as a teacher? Definately.

There's also a photo gallery that consists of Ms. Cook in action. This gives us a visual of Ms. Cook the Teacher. It provides a great aid because a potential employer can picture exactly what she would look like in the class room, how she interacts with kids, etc. The video serves a similar purpose, and recaps on that idea of her teaching philosophy, as she reads a statement. This gives us an even clearer pictures of her teaching style. From the video we can not only see what she looks like, but hear her speak, thus reviewing her speech patterns and style of talking. In addition to these philosophical and physical aids, a potential employer can also check out her sample lesson plan. They can go over the math resources that she uses, read about her current happenings, and get a small glimpse into her professional life. Obviously, this is a great application alternative. The website is online an accessible by anyone, and gives a much better picture of who she is and what she can do for the school than a simple application.

DRAWBACKS: There are some short comings. For instance, the website is not exactly the most exciting wave to surf. Limited technological experience can leave an ePortfolio looking drab. Also, one is forced to find a viable balance between thoroughness and being extensive to the point of exhaustion. In the specific example of Ms. Cook, her metaphor is an entire page with frames and multiple chapters. Maybe there are some great ideas in there, but the casual observer (or an employer who is just glossing through hundreds of applicants) isn't going to stop to read all of that. Another draw back is the lack of any standard. When a resume or application is submitted, all information is exactly in the same place on every single application. With websites, there is a lot of aesthetic freedom. If people can agree on a format, I can see future applications submitted almost exclusively via ePortfolio.

SUMMARY: I can't really summarize the legitamacy of ePortfolios at this point, because I haven't created one myself and can't attest to the ease with which a viable and attractive portfolio can be constructed. Also, when I do make my own, I hope that the professional sector will only be a branch. I plan to have a social portfolio as well, and because I consider myself to be a multi-facted individual, I hope that my own ePortfolio will have multiple focuses. At any rate, definately check out Sarah Cook's ePortfolio. It's probably the simplest example I found with the most features. There are other great examples too, like I said, I've only dipped my toes in the water at this point.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELPFUL LINKS: Through my exploration I've gathered some helpful (to me, anyway) links and posted them here for your perusal. Because of this, you obviously will now feel that I'm unreasonably cool to the point of offense. You'll notice the URLs aren't actually linked per se, this is because you've been spending too much time at your computer, and in my gracious wisdom I've come up with this clever device that forces you to exercise. Highlighting the URLs below and pasting them into the address bar above will not only expand your mind, but your right forearm and hand as well. Yes, yes, I am a genius for developing the "Andy's e-Xercise system". ... Or maybe I just can't figure out how to link text yet, and would be very grateful to anyone who could show me. Anyway, I'll post the links now before I start to ramble.

http://www.deskootenays.ca/wilton/eportfolios/whatitis.php
(Good information resource, Thanks Daniel)

http://www.pebblelearning.co.uk/
(Try out the Sample WebFolio, which by definition isn't exactly an ePortfolio, but lots of instructions and explainations for small-timers like me)

http://projectit.ua.edu/examples.html
(really freakin great)

http://www.angellearning.com/
(Probably the easiest on the eyes that I've found, take the tour and run amok in the demo)

http://www.recordingachievement.org/
(HUGE information resource, obviously quite boring, but hey! Who said web learning got to be fun ALL of the time?)

P.S. You know what, I actually figured it out. If you actually read the small print above, I applaud your enthusiasm but scoff at your laughably over-compulsive attention to detail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Lankford said...

Detailed and fascinating eportfolio analysis, Andrew. However, next time be sure to post it in the "Comments" section of the Assignments blog for credit (I'm just worried I'll get confused when it comes to record keeping).

Liked your list of links so much I posted them for other students on the GroupBlog. Thanks again for all your thoughtful writing/thinking! I really look forward to reading your blog every single time.

1/29/2006 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home