Our Place in the New Universe.

Rants on the internet, blogs, ePortfolios, and education.

Name:
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Traditional Education

I would put the image in the center, but the text wrap effect makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing. I assume. This image was stolen from the Napa Valley school of Massage website.

TRADITIONAL EDUCATION

I'm a big fan of alternative education. I'm a mellow guy, but my attention span isn't really one that shows mercy to anything I don't care about. In classes that I know I should pay attention but don't want to, I just don't. It seems like schooling these days is always preparing you for a test or another class. Very little that you learn in school is actually learned. How often do you hear kids complain, "Where would I ever use this in the real world?" Well a lot of times backin elementary school, a class could be about learning more than what the subject of the class is. Not anymore. Maybe it's just me, but for subject I don't care about, I try as hard as i can to retain enough information for long enough in order to regurgitate it onto a test paper and come out with a decent grade. For classes I like, I have no problem listening for hours and really learning. These classes come few and far between. That's why I enjoy projects, activities, trips... anything out of the ordinary. I would even rather have a research paper than a lame test recapping what happened in the last chapter of the Book of No One Cares. I'm the kind of person who learns better when I have to make it up for myself, if you hand it to me I'll just rely on you for more.

Blogs might help in the sense that it's something you navigate through. You go as deep as you feel like or just go over the surface to get a glance. The negative side is if it's really boring or a very difficult subject to master, a blog explaining things might not be enough.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Lankford said...

Yes, Andrew, that's it exactly: The boundary between 'traditional' and 'nontraditional' is a major theme of this course. So now you're taking the next step, using your blog to think about your own learning style -- and how it is (potentially) impacted by blogs/eportfolios and etc.

So that your blog does not become The Blog No One Cares allow me two suggestions:

1) Think about changing the title from The Blog to something a bit more titilating (such as "The Mystery" for example).

2) Keep asking yourself questions, as you do here, about how/why you learn the way you do, and how/why things in the future could be made more exciting for you and everyone else in education.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND HAPPY NEW BLOGGING!

12/30/2005 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home