Our Place in the New Universe.

Rants on the internet, blogs, ePortfolios, and education.

Name:
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Pretty Package

Thanks for the suit, Sam Abouhassan!

Succeeding through a Successful Image

The quarter is coming to a close for us loitering in this ePortfolio seminar, and inevitably there's now a mad scramble to haphazardly piece together a decent ePortfolio. Depending on what your ePortfolio is trying to package, you will probably have different content. Clearly though, there are some core elements that every ePortfolio posseses, as was brought to our attention by Dr. Scott's assignment for the week. The reminder was timely, because I certainly would've omitted an introduction on the first page. I was forming an "About Me" section, but I forgot that I needed an "About this Portfolio". Also, I was at a loss as to what to put on the index page and now I know. My ePortfolio is stronger for the intro.

Working with the portfolio as well as exploring a multitude of ePortfolios, I also realized that are other factors that can add power to your ePortfolio. For better or worse, one of them is the portfolio's look. Mentally sift through all the ePortfolios that you've visited over the quarter and note down what impressed you or turned you away. Personally, when I come across a beautifully made portfolio with graphics and banners, I tend to take it more seriously than a portfolio that is perhaps text only or obviously drafted by a novice. That's horrible to say, and I can already feel the stones of judgement pelting me in my deserving nogin. But think about it...

Let's say you're a manager in a business, and you're looking to hire. Two candidates walk in the door. Both have impressive credentials. Both are well qualified for the job. The first candidate, Ima Spiring, is perfectly groomed and very composed. She has a nice black leather brief case with shiny buttons, and a slick suit that is crisp and pressed. The second candidate, Willy Gethired, is in a tweed suit that has a few buttons missing and strange hairs on it. He hasn't shaven in a few days, there's the reminants of possibly week-0ld scrambled egg in his whiskers. He's got a strange and unsettling odor, and is missing more than a few teeth. Willy may be just as qualified (perhaps even more so) at the job he's applying for, but I doubt that you will pick him over Ima. Unfortunately, appearance can be a factor whether we like it or not.

This applies to our ePortfolios if we expect them to be used as viable portfolios. Obviously content is the foundation of a good ePortfolio. The prettiest wrapping paper in the world won't make an empty shoebox a great gift. But in the case of ePortfolios, its more than advantageous to package your great credentials in a professional manner than leaves an impression with its reviewer. Employers and schools have to glance over hundreds of applicants, and like any good student I'm sure they appreciate it when they are ENGAGED rather than ENRAGED.

All this being said, it's much easier to preach from my soap box than to actually get out there and do it. My own ePortfolio right now is a few scattered trinkets wrapped in wet newspaper, so I've got some work ahead of me. See you next week!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

4/06/2006 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home